Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Light of the World

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, 'I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" John 8:12  

Have you ever tried walking in darkness? You may stumble, bump into things, and/or (more often than not) head in the wrong direction; your life could very well be in danger. In Thailand when I was little, my aunts took me to see a movie on an outdoor screen which was set up on a public lawn. It was a dark night and while we walked, we relied only on the moon's light to guide us. My aunts were busy chatting and for a moment, they forgot to watch me. I fell into a manhole (obviously without a cover). I don't remember all the details. Thank God, somehow...someone...pulled me out. It is a scary thing to walk in darkness. I am so thankful that I follow Jesus, the Light of the World. I now have the light of life; I no longer walk in darkness. I once was blind but now I see. Jesus illuminates/communicates the knowledge of God to us. He is the True Light that enlightens us to see clearly our sin and our need for a Savior. The Light of the World vanquishes the spiritual darkness brought on by sin and helps us see the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Christ exposes sin for what it is and shines the light of His forgiveness upon us. We who believe in Him have moved from darkness to light, from death to life. When we follow Jesus, the Light of the world, we can avoid stumbling blindly in darkness and falling into sin and destruction. He lights the path ahead of us so that we can see how to live. He leads/guides/directs us. 

In the Bible, light represents truth, holiness, purity, love, and life. Darkness represents evil, sin, ignorance, wickedness, and the lost world. We've been rescued to reflect our Redeemer, the Light of the World! Since we, Christ's followers, have the light of life, we also are light to the world. "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16) "Jesus gives the Christian both a great compliment and a great responsibility when He says that we are the light of the world, because He claimed that title for Himself as He walked this earth." (Guzik) We, Christ's followers, are to reflect the light of Jesus and the Gospel in this world of darkness (sin and spiritual blindness) for God's glory. We are mere reflectors of Christ's light, pointing others to Him, the True LightReflect the love and character of Christ in attitude, words, and deeds. Live out the Christ life which is in us. Light is what enables us to see and makes vision possible. May we help others see the dangers of sin, understand the truth of the Gospel, and realize the need for a Savior! Light reveals things that are hidden and light gives warmth. When we live our lives according to God's Word and God's will, we become a beacon of light to this weary, wicked, & lost world, giving people hope and help. We are to influence the world, not to be influenced by the world.

To ponder: How can we shine and reflect Christ's light so that others may see Him this season?

Prayer: Thank You, Lord Jesus, for being my Light, my Salvation, and the Stronghold of my life! Help me, Lord, to always walk in the light...in obedience to You. Please enable me to reflect Your light and shine brightly so that others may see their need for a Savior and be drawn to You, the Light of the World. 








No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian