Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How Can We Not...

"If we can trust God for our eternal salvation, how can we not trust Him to provide for the "little" things of life?" ~M.E.Howard
Isn't that a great question :)? Compared to our eternal salvation, everything else seems so insignificant. All trials, problems, disappointments, struggles, and sufferings would be considered "little" bumps in life's journey when we look at them from an eternal perspective. Why then is it difficult for us sometimes to trust God to provide...to take care of our "little" problems? I believe it's often a matter of our perspective and focus. If our perspective is self-centered, we still want to be in control, not willing to acknowledge that God is in total control and we still only think of what we want, not what God wants. If our focus is on our situations, then we fret and get anxious and/or depressed. But when we focus on God and His attributes, we can rest in Him and leave our burdens at His feet. Personally, I don't have problem trusting in God's power and ability to provide and to solve my problems. What I usually struggle with is wondering if and when He will choose to do so. Then I need to shift my focus. I need to remind myself that God knows and wants what's best for me and I want His will, not my will to be done, including His timing, not mine. I find this quote to be a good reminder for me to let go of my "little" concerns and just trust God. Five points that might help us have the right perspective and focus when we have trouble trusting Him:

- God is in control even when things are out of control. His sovereignty rules.
- God is faithful even when we have little faith. He always keeps His promises.
- God is good all the time even when nothing good seems to be happening right now. His goodness never changes.
- God loves us no matter what we do or don't do...succeed or fail. His love never fails.
- God is omnipotent. Nothing is impossible for Him.

Two hymns that help me regain the right focus are I Surrender All and Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.

"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." Psalm 37:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Lord, please give us a childlike faith that simply and completely trusts in You 100% in any situation!

You're invited to share your thoughts about this quote on your blog and then link up your post here.To learn more about "In Other Words"(what it's about, how it works, and how it originated), visit here. 


Beholding Glory
This post is also linked up at Brag on God Fridays and Spiritual Sundays.

16 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Welcome to In Other Words as a hostess and thank you for having us today. This was great quote, at a timely moment in my life. Thanks!

Tami said...

I have trouble with the "when"s too. Thankfully (but sometimes painfully) God is giving me lots of opportunity to practice!

Thanks for this good quote and for hosting.

Vintage Whimsy Studio said...

Welcome to the "In Other Words" community ;o) You will find all of the women here to be so loving, generous, and genuine . . . . I'm so glad you are here! Thank you so much for this quote today - it has truly inspired me to remember to trust God even in the midst of the "little" things that come along every day. I tend to worry and stress, and feel that I am responsibile to "fix" everything in the universe (how did I get to be so important????) that I need to be reminded that God is always faithful, so I can relax once in a while ;o) I needed to hear these words today; thank you for sharing them with us. Nina @ mamas*little*treasures

Twinkle Mom @ Sunflower Faith said...

Beautiful words and welcome to IOW!! So excited to have you joining! Love the quote...its a perfect reminders for these days as it seems easy to worry about the little things that God has already covered and in control of.

Karen said...

Welcome to "In Other Words Tuesday." Its great to have you join us. The quote for today was indeed loaded with things we need to think about and look at. Why we don't think God has time for the little stuff is beyond me. We are just too impatient for our own good. Thanks again for hosting today. Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have joined us. Thank-you for sharing this quote. Trusting god in the "little things" is a struggle. I agree that it is often our perspective and focus. We need to have an eternal focus.

Blessings!

Chocolate and Coffee said...

Welcome to IOW!!! I really enjoyed your quote and post. Trusting God in the "little things" are sometimes the most difficult thing we are asked to do in our walk with Christ. Many times for me it is simply because I try to fix things myself before before surrendering it to God....... You would think after all these years I would learn that doesn't work!

Many blessings!

Loni said...

Thank you so much for joining us in hosting. This was a great quote to contemplate on . . . and where I lack at times to ask God for help in the little things. Thanks for the reminders!

Laura said...

You have great thoughts. Would you be willing to link them up for Brag on God Friday's? I would love for more women to be able to be encouraged by you.

Laura said...

Thank you for your great perspective!! It really is all about Him... it is so easy to forget. Thank you.

Charlotte said...

I agree with you. It is easy for us to think we can take care of the "little" things and many times fail to ask Him about it before we just dive right in and try to fix it ourselves. Thank you for this perspective, and the video is beautiful.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Pamela said...

Your question grabbed me from the first. We do so often forget God is interested in the "little" things of life, too. I love both of the hymns you suggested. This is the second one I've read tonight using "Turn your eyes upon Jesus." I think I need to make that my theme song for the coming week.

Trusting,
Pamela

Virginia said...

God has proven faithful to me even in the small stuf. All we have to do is ask and be obedient.
Blessings~~~

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

There are so many things going on with me all I can do is trust in the Lord.
Thank-you for this,
Ginger

Lynn said...

Very nicely done. "I surrender all" is one of my favorite hymns, right up there with Amazing Grace. May your week be blessed.

Misty said...

Such a great thought provoking post for me, delivered right on time.. I also was so moved (to tears) by the video placed at the top of your blog. Often I wonder.. am I reaching all the people I can when at times I don't even have the courage to share the gospel with some of my friends, how am I really loving others if I am not even reaching a hand to my neighbors. There is work to do..

Blessings and thank you.

Misty

A Must-See Video for Every Christian