Sunday, September 13, 2009

Kindness

Wouldn't this world be a lovely, warless place if everybody is kind to one another? Wouldn't families be a lot happier if everyone in the family is always kind to one another? Wouldn't the poor and needy no longer be in need if everybody shows kindness? Wouldn't conflicts and arguments be quickly resolved (or not even take place) if people always use kind words? 
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

"Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else." 1 Thessalonians 5:15

"And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." 2 Timothy 2:24

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Proverbs 12:25

Why..oh why is it hard for us to be kind sometimes? Is it because...the other person is unkind/mean to us, it's inconvenient for us, we're too busy doing our own things, we don't get recognized/rewarded, we just don't feel like it (or we're in a bad mood), or perhaps people keep taking advantage of our kindness...?

Does God tell us to be kind only if/when 1. others are kind to us, 2. it's convenient for us, 3. we're not busy, 4. we get recognized/rewarded, 5. we feel like it, 6. people appreciate our kindness...? NO! He simply commanded us to be kind! The Good Samaritan is a wonderful example of kindness. Remember...Jesus said, "Go and do likewise." I'm so pleased and touched when my kids secretly do their siblings' chores without being told to, save the last piece of dessert or treat for their sibling, let their siblings go first, complimenting their siblings, comforting their siblings when they're sad/upset, etc. (kindness doesn't always come easily for my kids, but they're learning and trying :))

Kindness has no price tags. We shouldn't expect anything in return. Even if nobody has noticed, God does :). Doing what pleases God should be more than enough motivation for us. We are to be kind to others, not because they deserve it, but because it's the right thing to do. I have failed miserably time and time again. I only have myself to blame. Please pray for me. Thanks! I'm so glad and grateful that God is patient with me. His kindness towards us is immeasurable, in spite of what we do or don't do. I know I certainly don't deserve it.

In my opinion, kindness is...
Caring about others' feelings and considering others' needs and wants above our own
Offering help, support, sympathy, understanding, prayers, encouragement, and friendship
Obeying the Lord's commands: "Love your neighbor as yourself" and "Do to others what you would have them do to you"
Loving others in words and actions. Love is patient, love is kind.

Be kind...be cool! :)

"Speak kind words and you will hear kind echoes." Unknown

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." Mother Teresa

"Learn to say kind things--nobody ever resents them." Unknown

"Can you ever remember a time when you regretted having said a kind word?" Unknown

"Hatred and anger are powerless when met with kindness." Unknown

"Speak your kind words soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." Unknown

"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now." Unknown

"Kindness is a language which the deaf man can hear and the blind man can read." Mark Twain

"One kind act will teach more love of God than a thousand sermons." Unknown

Kind hearts are the gardens,
Kind thoughts are the roots,
Kind words are the flowers,
Kind deeds are the fruits.

Take care of your garden
And keep out the weeds,
Fill it with sunshine
Kind words and kind deeds.

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My prayer today: Lord, please create in my heart the unselfish kindness, that I may serve You and others joyfully...that I may be sunshine in the lives of others...that I may reflect Christ accurately...In Jesus' name, I pray...Amen.

Please visit here for the links to other Spiritual Sundays posts.  Have a blessed week in the Lord, everyone!

P.S. You may also want to read a somewhat relevant post titled, Taming the Tongue.

6 comments:

Peggy said...

WOW! Many great quotes, scriptures * insights on KINDNESS! Much work went into this...and your acrostic for KINDNESS is COOL & good advice to us if we really are LIVING FOR GOD!

Now you just need to add Kristina's Song to complete this! Just go to KOhit.net..easier to click from my MISSIONS post or click on her Name there.

Thanks for saying I can post the other video on "God of Justice".

Charlotte said...

I'm glad you shared with us today. That is a powerful video. It is overwhelming to think of all the people in the world who need to be reached with the gospel.
Kindness is so important. Thank you for sharing all these wonderful scriptures that point that out.
I hope you have a good week.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW! This video brought tears to my eyes. This has been a subject that I have heard about all weekend. My heart hurts.
God Bless you and thank-you for sharing this post today.
Blessings,
Ginger

Denise said...

Such a heart touching post, thank you.

Regina said...

Love the verses! Thanks for sharing.

Saleslady371 said...

I love that quote by Mother Theresa. Kindness is such a good topic and one that would indeed make the world a better place if practiced.

A Must-See Video for Every Christian