Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What God Desires


This Tuesday’s In Other Words is hosted by Nina of Mama’s Little Treasures.
“For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.” Hosea 6:6

Throughout the Bible, we can see God's heart. He wants us to acknowledge Him (see verses below), love Him (Deuteronomy 6:5, 10:12, Matthew 22:37), worship Him (2 Kings 17:36, Psalm 100:2, Matthew 4:10), praise Him (1 Chronicles 16:25, Psalm 66:8), glorify Him (Psalm 34:3, Romans 15:5-6, 1 Corinthians 10:31), honor Him (John 5:23, 1 Corinthians 6:20, Proverbs 3:9), fear/revere Him (Deuteronomy 10:12, 13:4, 17:19, 1 Samuel 12:24, Psalm 22:23), trust Him (Psalm 22:9, 37:3, 62:8, Isaiah 26:4, John 14:1), obey Him (Deuteronomy 13:4, 1 Samuel 15:22, Jeremiah 11:4b, John 14:15), serve Him (Deuteronomy 10:12, 13:4, 1 Samuel 12:24, Psalm 2:11, Matthew 4:10, Hebrews 9:14, Revelation 5:10), and imitate Him (Ephesians 5:1, Philippians 2:5, 1 Peter 1:15-16).

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Jesus said in Matthew 10:32, "Whoever acknowledges Me before men, I will also acknowledge him before My Father in heaven."

"If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God." 1 John 4:15

People often acknowledge talents, accomplishments, hard work, success, beauty, intelligence, even luck/fortune and Mother Nature. But they fail to realize/recognize Who is the Giver of all blessings...Who created us and nature...Who is sovereign over all things, Who is behind all the miracles, etc. And we ourselves like to be acknowledged, don't we? That's why we need to be careful to remember that anything good in us is what the Lord has done for us, in us, and through us. If we fail to acknowledge God, our good deeds/service/giving/ ministries ("burnt offerings") mean nothing.

"Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but my ears you have pierced; burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not require. Then I said, 'Here I am, I have come--it is written about me in the scroll. I desire to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart.' I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly; I do not seal my lips, as You know, O Lord. I do not hide Your righteousness in my heart; I speak of Your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal Your love and Your truth from the great assembly." (Psalm 40:6-10) David knew what God desires and beautifully acknowledged God!

God's mercy is so great and He desires us to extend His mercy to others. "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." Luke 6:36 (Imitate Him!)

Jesus said in Matthew 9:12-13, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

When the Pharisees complained to Jesus about His disciples picking and eating heads of grain on the Sabbath, Jesus said, "If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent." Matthew 12:7

Remember...God looks at the heart. If our heart lacks mercy and does not acknowledge God, all our sacrifice and "burnt offerings" (any form of offerings) would be detestable to Him. Don't be like the Pharisees!

~ If you'd like to know what "In Other Words" is all about, please visit here.
~ To find other Spiritual Sundays participants, please visit here.

4 comments:

Carol said...

What a wonderful list of Bible verses! I especially enjoyed the references to Jesus' quote.

Thank-you for sharing!

Loni said...

Thank you so much for sharing this week! The verses all tied together so well. APPRECIATE your encouragement again!

Pamela said...

The desire of my heart is to be as merciful as God. I don't believe I could reach His love-filled mercy, but I'm trying to walk in His footsteps.

Blessings,
Pamela

Charlotte said...

Many good thoughts shared in this post. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

A Must-See Video for Every Christian