Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Are You a F.A.T. Christian? I Hope So :)!

“ God is looking for F.A.T. disciples, disciples that are faithful, available, and teachable. We can’t teach others what we don’t know ourselves. ” ~Anonymous

I have seen this acronym (F.A.T.) before in a church's leadership training manual. It's easy to remember and it is true. God does not require us to be capable, beautiful, smart, or famous in order to become useful for His kingdom work. The parable of the talents in Matthew clearly shows that the master was pleased with faithful servants. "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" (Matthew 25:21) "So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." (1 Corinthians 4:1-2) "Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." (Revelation 2:10b) Are you firmly and totally devoted to God and God alone?

Are you too busy for God? Do you spend plenty of time with Him (prayer, worship, reading His Word, listening to Him)? Have you surrendered all (your life, desires, dreams, time, talents, treasures, etc.) to Him? When God calls you to do something, do you respond immediately or do you hesitate or even refuse, making up all kinds of excuses? We can learn from Samuel and Isaiah. "The Lord came and stood there, calling, as at the other times, 'Samuel! Samuel!' Then Samuel said, "Speak, for Your servant is listening." (1 Samuel 3:10) Samuel was available; he didn't say...not now, I'm sleeping. Have you been tempted to say...not now, Lord, I'm comfortable where I am? "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'" (Isaiah 6:8) Isaiah was available/willing to do God's will. Are you always ready/available to serve God...to obey Him?

I believe another word for "teachable" is "humble". And "unteachable" would equal "prideful". If we are full of ourselves and think we know it all, there's no room for God's wisdom and teachings. God hates pride! We must be humble...be receptive to being taught by the Holy Spirit, God's Word, other brothers and sisters in Christ whom God use to share His truths with us. "He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way." (Psalm 25:9) "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." (Matthew 23:12)

The last sentence in the quote above makes sense, too. We cannot impart what we don't have. Timothy is a good example of being teachable. "But as for you (Timothy), continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God- breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:14-17)

Do you want to be used mightily for God's glory and His kingdom? By God's grace, may you and I always be F.A.T. :)!

~ This week, In Other Words, is hosted by Karen on her blog, In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus.
~ Want to learn more about “In Other Words” (what it’s all about, how it works, how it originated)? Click here!
NOTE: Next week, I will be hosting In Other Words. Hope y'all will come back and link up next Tuesday :).

3 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

I want to be FAT for God too. Humility is a prerequisite for being teachable, I think. Loved your post on this quote.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Charlotte said...

I'm sorry you had trouble linking. I just linked for you.
You pose good question in this post. I think it is something we all have to ask ourselves from time to time. Am I really being all that God has called me to be?
Yes, I want to be F.A.T. too.
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Pamela said...

Love the FAT diet. It thrills me to know someone remembered it after all these years. It was published in a couple different teaching periodicals. I needed to read that today. Thank you.

A Must-See Video for Every Christian