Saturday, October 25, 2014

Be Cheerful

Yes, my corn muffin came out of the oven smiling like that! I just had to take a photo of it :). If you ask people who know me to describe me, I'm quite sure that one of the adjectives they will use is cheerful. I smile a lot! I laugh and giggle a lot! And yes, Pollyanna is one of my favorite movies :).


Cheerful Heart and Cheerful Face

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful." (Proverbs 15:13a)
"The cheerful heart has a continual feast." (Proverbs 15:15b)
"A cheerful heart is good medicine." (Proverbs 17:22a)

"Be cheerful. Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important." (Unknown) A cheerful face/look comes from a cheerful heart. Cheerfulness is an attitude of the heart. When our heart is cheerful, life is a continual feast of joy and satisfaction. A cheerful (happy) heart makes the face cheerful and a cheerful face brings joy to the heart, making the heart cheerful. Do you see the beneficial, joyous cycle? When you are cheerful, your smile, laughter, and/or sunny disposition can bring healing and hope to someone's weary soul or sorrowful heart, lift his/her spirits up, and brighten his/her days. Don't you just love children's laughter? It's better than any medicine. 


SMILE

Don't underestimate the power of a smile :)! A smile makes you feel welcome. A smile gives you a sense of approval and acceptance. "What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity." (Unknown) 

"A smile is cheer to you and me
The cost is nothing--it's given free

It comforts the weary--gladdens the sad
Consoles those in trouble--good or bad
To rich and poor--beggar or thief
It's free to all of any belief
A natural gesture of young and old
Cheers on the faint--disarms the bold
Unlike most blessings for which we pray
It's one thing we keep when we give it away."
(Unknown)


CHOOSE

I don't always feel cheerful. Because of my chronic health problem, I often live with intense pain. People usually have no idea. I don't let pain stop me from being cheerful. If you want to have a cheerful heart, you have to make choices, in spite of circumstances. I'll share with you what I choose :).


Choose Jesus

I choose to surrender my life to Jesus and ask Him to be my Lord and Savior. I know who I am and whose I am. Joy is found in knowing Jesus and abiding in Him. O the joy of being saved and secure in Christ! Joy is found in walking with Him even through the valley of the shadow of death. Joy is found in living for God, relying on Him, our Source of joy, and doing His will. "Joy is not happiness so much as gladness; it is the ecstasy of eternity in a soul that has made peace with God and is ready to do His will." (Unknown) I choose to focus on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of my faith. "You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm 16:11) I choose to trust and obey Him. "If you obey My commands, you will remain in My love, just as I have obeyed My Father's commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." (John 15: 10-11)

Oh the sheer joy of it!
Walking with Thee,
Out on the hilltop,
Down by the sea,
Life is so wonderful,
Life is so free. 
(Ralph Spaulding Cushman)


Choose Joy

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4)  "Rejoice always!" (1 Thessalonians 5:16) Commit to walk in joy no matter what is going on around us. Rejoice in the Lord no matter what. I find joy in praising and worshiping God. Celebrate Him and enjoy His presence. "The joy of the Lord is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10b) Rejoice at God's Greatest Gift, Jesus Christ. Rejoice at His redeeming grace. Rejoice that you are forgiven and free. Rejoice that someday Christ will return.


Choose Contentment

"Happy is the person who has learned the secret of being content with whatever life brings him, and has learned to rejoice in the simple and beautiful things around him." (Billy Graham)
"But Godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6) Would you like to know the "secret" to being content? I believe we can truly be content only when we realize that we are complete in Christ. No one else and nothing else will ever make us complete.


Choose Gratitude

Joy is found in our gratitude to the Lord. A heart that always sees God's goodness and praises Him cannot help but being cheerful. A thankful heart is a cheerful heart.


Choose Generosity

Give your time, talents, and treasures generously. God loves a cheerful giver. It's such a joy to give, to serve, and to be a blessing to others. Generosity that reflects God's love, grace, and kindness is an antidote to covetousness and a way of laying up treasure in Heaven.


Choose Forgiveness

"Forgiveness is the economy of the heart. Forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits." (Hannah More) Your heart cannot be cheerful if it is filled with anger, hatred, and bitterness. "Forgiveness doesn't excuse their behavior. Forgiveness prevents their behavior from destroying our heart." (Unknown)


Choose Eternal Perspectives

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18) This world is not our home. When we set our hearts and minds on things above, we are filled with hope, peace, and joy.


Choose God's Word

"Finally, brothers, 
 whatever is true, 
 whatever is noble, 
 whatever is right, 
 whatever is pure, 
 whatever is lovely, 
 whatever is admirable--
 if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--
think about such things!" (Philippians 4:8)
What you choose to dwell on will affect your attitude. God's Word gives us comfort, guidance, and hope. God's Word is my delight! "The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes." (Psalm 19:8) Fill your mind with God's truths (memorize Bible verses).

Remember that we cannot always choose what happens to us or around us, but we can choose our attitude towards each situation and how to respond/react. "I can alter my life by altering my attitude of mind." (~Unknown) "It has been said that the habit of always seeing the bright side in life, is worth a large income to a man. It makes life a great deal easier." (J.R. Miller) Cheerfulness is seeing and reflecting the bright, sunny side in life. Cheerfulness is not only good for you but also good for others...good for the world. And it draws people to Christ.


QUIT

If you want to have a cheerful heart, you also have to quit some bad habits. Quit complaining. Quit comparing. Quit criticizing. Quit worrying. Quit thinking only about yourselves.


Be C.H.E.E.R.F.U.L. 

Be Content and carefree in Christ
      Happy, helpful, and hopeful
      Enthusiastic
      Encouraging
      Radiant (shining brightly the light and love of Jesus)
      Friendly and frolicsome
      Uplifting
      Loving and lively

Smile! God loves you perfectly with an everlasting love.
Smile! God is always with you. You're never alone.
Smile! God is for you. Who can be against you?
Smile! God's got your back. He is in control and He is all-powerful.
Smile! God is always good and wants the best for you.




This post is linked up with Fellowship Fridays @Christian Mommy Blogger, Faith-filled Friday @Missional Women, Faith Along the Way, Still Saturday @sandraheskaking,  Spiritual Sundays, Sharing His Beauty @The Beauty in His GripPlaydates with God at The Wellspring, The Weekend Brew @My Freshly Brewed LifeInspire Me Monday @Create With Joy, Sincerely, Paula, 3-D Lessons for Life, #GiveMeGrace, and Tell Me a True Story.
Faith and Fellowship Blog Hop
Equipping Godly Women
countingmyblessings

10 comments:

Rachel Lavern said...

I used to struggle with depression. Thankfully, I was motivated to pull out of it by remembering that a merry heart is good medicine.

melody said...

"Happy is the person who has learned the secret of being content with whatever life brings him, and has learned to rejoice in the simple and beautiful things around him." is my favorite quote used here. I loved this positive and uplifting article. I am a very happy person, and generally smiling as well. Life is good but it is first and foremost what you make of it. Everything isn't going to be good, but your attitude can change all that. I understand that and you as well, and its unfortunate that some people choose to not be happy, when its as simple as mind over matter and faith.

Dawn said...

You have made it abundantly clear that the key to this joy living is to CHOOSE it. I love the acronym you shared for Cheerful. :)
Joy exudes from your sharing!
Blessings,
Dawn

Unknown said...

Great advice - putting a smile on your face alone can do wonders for your attitude and how people perceive you. It is a choice, but one made easier through faith.

jviola79 said...

So glad you chose to pass your corn muffins around this morning :) It is so true that we have a choice to make each to be cheerful. May we make the choice to smile today!

Anonymous said...

Choosing "whatever is _______." And it not only blesses the people around us, we could almost do it for selfish reasons because the blessings return in abundance. I like to be cheerful too. Not because everything is perfect, but because it feels good and honors the One who has everything under control anyway. Blessings and thanks for linking up at CMB.

Laurie Collett said...

So many choices we face each day -- may we choose rightly to honor and glorify Him. His path leads to life and eternal reward! Thanks for the great post & God bless!

Jessica said...

This is just what I needed this sleepy Monday morning! I especially love your reminder to choose gratitude. If you're finding the bright side and being thankful for everything, it's hard to be dreary and grumpy. Thank you for these reminders!

Anonymous said...

Just reading this made me smile! It seems my joy increased greatly when I started asking for contentment and giving more away. God always knows what we need!

a joyful noise said...

Our choices are so important and we can choose our attitudes either for good or for bad. Giving up negative thoughts will be difficult at first but the rewards of a thankful and grateful heart will bring that SMILE. Thanks for sharing with us here at "Tell Me a Story."

A Must-See Video for Every Christian