Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Christ Alone

"Without the renewed mind, we will distort the Scriptures to avoid their radical commands for self-denial, and love, and purity, and supreme satisfaction in Christ alone."
~John Piper
Sad but true, we have seen people, including those who appear to be "active" Christians distort the Scriptures to justify their sins, to serve their own agendas, and even to commit crimes. Satan knows the Scriptures. Most atheists know the Scriptures. Pharisees and false teachers know the Scriptures. What do they all have in common? The lack of the renewed mind (and transformed heart)!

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

Without the renewed mind, the world continues to have a hold on you. Self is still on the throne of your heart. Love is still conditional and selfish. Purity is only for nuns and monks. Supreme satisfaction in Christ alone...no way. However, the Scriptures are clear about denying self (Mark 8:34-36), sacrificial love (1 John 3:16), purity (1 Timothy 4:12), and the spiritual satisfaction which can only be found in Christ alone (John 4:10, 13-14). This quote from St. Augustine comes to mind: "If you believe what you like in the Gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, He is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17
When one is in Christ and becomes a new creation, his/her old way of thinking and living has gone. His/her mind is renewed by God's Word and His Holy Spirit. It all starts with surrendering one's life completely to Christ.

"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

On a personal note: I received a phone call from my doctor's nurse on Jan. 5th. She said the doctor wanted me to go see him so that he could discuss the ultrasound result with me. No, I'm not pregnant :). I've had intense abdominal pain following my menstrual period for the past few months. Anyway, I didn't know what to expect. I'm thankful that the Lord gave me peace during the waiting days (my doctor appointment was Jan. 9th). I prayed for His will. My life is in His hands and that alone gives me comfort. I, of course, imagined how I would feel/react if I had cancer. By God's grace, I felt ready to face any news. My mind and my heart agree that Christ alone is indeed enough. I hoped and prayed that Christ would always be glorified in me, whether in my sickness or health. When I went to see the doctor, he told me that I have a tumor/fibroid (bigger than a golf ball) in my uterus but it's not cancerous. Praise God! The longer I walk with God in this life journey, the more I find supreme satisfaction in Christ alone!

Christ My All
Christ for sickness, Christ for health,
Christ for poverty, Christ for wealth,
Christ for joy, Christ for sorrow,
Christ today and Christ tomorrow;
Christ my Life, and Christ my Light,
Christ for morning, noon and night,
Christ when all around gives way
Christ my everlasting Stay;
Christ my Strength and Christ my Rest
Christ my Wisdom, Christ wants for me the best
Christ my Well-beloved Friend
Christ my Pleasure without end;
Christ my Savior, Christ my Lord
Christ my Portion, Christ my God,
Christ my Shepherd, I His sheep
Christ Himself my soul to keep;
Christ my Leader, Christ my Peace
Christ hath wrought my soul's release,
Christ my Righteousness divine
Christ for me, for He is mine;
Christ my Advocate and Priest
Christ who never forgets the least;
Christ my Teacher, Christ my Guide,
Christ my Rock, in Christ I hide,
Christ the Ever-living Bread,
Christ His precious blood hath shed;
Christ hath brought me nigh to God,
Christ the everlasting Word
Christ my Master, Christ my Head
Christ who for my sins hath bled;
Christ my Comforter on high,
Christ my Hope, draws ever nigh.

(Source unknown)

Words and Music by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend

This is one of my all-time favorite songs.  In Christ alone, I am who I am today...born again and blessed!

"The great mistake made by most of the Lord's people is in hoping to discover in themselves that which is to be found in Christ alone." A.W. Pink

In Christ we have...
a love that can never be fathomed,
a life that can never die,
a peace that can never be understood,
a rest that can never be disturbed,
a joy that can never be diminished,
a hope that can never be disappointed,
a glory that can never be clouded,
a light that can never be darkened,
and a spiritual resource that can never be exhausted.
~Unknown

You're invited to share your thoughts about the quote above (by John Piper) on your blog and then link up your post here. To learn more about "In Other Words"(what it's about, how it works, and how it originated), visit here.
This post is also linked up with Brag on God Friday @Beholding Glory, Spiritual Sundays, Sharing His Beauty @The Beauty in His Grip, Playdates with God at The Wellspring, and "Hear It, Use It" @Graceful.


P.S. I would like to invite you all to join my page, "Christ Alone" on Facebook. Please feel free to post there anything that is Christ-honoring and feel free to invite your friends to check it out. I dedicate that page to Christ and for His glory alone.

9 comments:

Denise said...

Such a beautiful post, bless you.

Debbie Petras said...

I had already written a post this morning but after reading your quote, I knew I had to participate. I loved it and totally agree with it.

Thank you for hosting IOWT.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Karen said...

That was really good. You are so right we need to renew our minds in order to break the hold the world can have on us. Thanks for sharing today.

Debbie said...

One of my favorite songs also and love the quote by Piper. He is one of my favorite authors. Blessings!

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

Definitely important and sweet words of encouragement! And re: your tumor - praise God for non-cancerous. A close friend of mine dealt with that last year - it's not fun, but it does get better and easier. Praying! And thanks for one of my favorite praise and worship hymn songs. Blessings to you!

Joan Davis (Jo) said...

It is a sad fact that many people will only believe what they want to believe from the Bible. However, what I have discovered (joyfully, I might add), is that when I offer my doubts or even my disbelief to God and ask Him to teach me...He ALWAYS opens my eyes and heart. Now, things that years ago, I "didn't like" because they basically pointed out where I was failing, are now words that I love. God can change our hearts...we have but to ask.

Blessings, Joan

Charlotte said...

In Christ alone is a beautiful song and the words are so true. Thank you for sharing the poem too. So much truth expressed in those words.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Michelle DeRusha said...

Welcome to the Hear It, Use It community -- I'm so very glad you joined in. I'm also glad to hear the fibroid is benign -- I hope and pray that you can get some relief from the pain! Blessings my friend!

Laura said...

Praising God with you that the tumor is benign. Wonderful news! So much truth here, thank you for sharing! So glad you linked up to Playdates this week!

A Must-See Video for Every Christian