Friday, September 14, 2018

Immigrating


"In the days when the judges ruled, there was a famine in the land. So a man from Bethlehem in Judah, together with his wife and two sons, went to live for a while in the country of Moab. The man’s name was Elimelek, his wife’s name was Naomi, and the names of his two sons were Mahlon and Kilion. They were Ephrathites from Bethlehem, Judah. And they went to Moab and lived there." Ruth 1:1-2

29 years ago on this day, I came to America when I was 20 to study for my master's degree at Oregon State University. After I graduated, I got married. Except for 2 visits to my birth country, Thailand, I have lived in America since 1989. I can relate to Naomi (and Ruth) regarding leaving their birth places and all that's familiar to them and learning to live in a foreign country with foreign customs. When I first came to America, I felt excited, nervous, shy, and homesick at times. Definitely a culture shock. I'm very grateful for God and my husband (boyfriend at the time) for helping me through the transition. God has always been my stability and security. I can definitely testify to the truth of Psalm 46:1, "God is our Refuge and Strength, and ever-present Help in trouble." I admit it's not easy to leave everyone and everything that you grow up with. I'm thankful for Facebook through which I can still connect with family and friends in Thailand. Naomi (and Ruth) didn't have that.

Even if Elimelek's decision was a mistake and not God's will, God still worked all things out for Naomi's good (she got a wonderful, caring, committed daughter-in-law, Ruth) and for His glory (displaying His providence and redemption). We can always trust and rest in God Who is our Refuge, Strength, and Help. His goodness and faithfulness never fail! And we, Christ's followers, can be thankful that Heaven is our true home (no matter where we live right now)!

Sidenote: I don't know who named their sons but Mahlon means weakly and Kilion means sickly. They're doomed from birth :).

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian