Friday, January 25, 2019

God's Got Our Back

Trials and troubles come to every one of us sooner or later. All people--all lives--are either in a crisis, coming out of a crisis, or headed for a crisis.” (Andy Andrews) For us Christ's followers, take heart; God's got our back. He Who loves us is faithful, merciful, and able to uphold, sustain, and comfort us through it all. Paul says these verses with confidence because he personally experienced God's power through his own sufferings. When I was at a very low point in my life, these beautiful, uplifting verses gave me hope and encouragement. 

Even when we are hard pressed on every side (feeling overwhelmed), we are not crushed/defeated because God delivers us (2 Corinthians 1:8-10); He is our Protector/Defender/Deliverer. Even when we are perplexed (confused, clueless about what's going on or what to do, feeling anxious and helpless), we are never in despair because our hope is in God alone and He is our Provider. Even when we're persecuted (harassed/oppressed because of our faith), we are never abandoned because God never leaves us nor forsakes us; He is always with us. Even when we're struck down (feeling completely wiped out), we cannot be destroyed because Christ lives in us and we live eternally with Him. The Holy Spirit is powerfully working within us; He will strengthen us and help us get back up when we're struck down.
"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14) "He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:9)  

Trials are unpleasant but they are great opportunities to witness how God works in our lives, for our lives, and through our lives. "Let every trial teach me more of Thy peace, more of Thy love." (Valley of Vision) Don't just go through trials, grow through trials. Ask God what He wants you to learn. Use trials as stepping stones to grow in faith, endurance, perseverance, and Christlikeness.


I love how Paul ends this chapter with such a comforting encouragement, directing our focus to an eternal perspective: "Because we know that the One who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to Himself. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:14-18)

Trials remind us that our joy and contentment are not found in the riches of this world, but in the riches of God's grace! 


Prayer: Thank You, Abba Father, for carrying me and comforting me through all my trials! Thank You for Your presence, power, protection, and provision! Please use me to be a blessing and encouragement to those who are going through afflictions. Please show me how I can help them stay strong in their faith and be emboldened to cope with any challenges. Please enable them and me to trust and rest in You completely, even in the fiercest storms of life. In Jesus's Name, I pray. Amen.


No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian