Monday, August 12, 2019

Be Mindful of What Come Out of Your Mouth


The dictionary defines "unwholesome" as unhealthy, harmful to physical health, mental health, or moral well-being. "Unwholesome" comes from the Greek word "sapros" which means rotten, corrupt, foul, putrid, useless, and worthless. Unwholesome words that come out of our mouths can cause so much damage and discredit our testimony. Therefore, profanity, obscenity, lies, gossips, insults, slander, mockery, careless words, and hurtful words must not come out of a Christian's mouth. Instead, we are to speak only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs so that it may benefit those who listen. Are you prone to grumble, complain, criticize, argue, and/or blame others? These are not helpful. Our words should be edifying, encouraging, truthful, loving, kind, respectful, and gracious. Be sensitive to the needs of others. What does your listener need? Words of comfort, of hope, of appreciation, of loving correction,...? Choose what is appropriate. Ephesians 4:29 is a verse that would benefit in all relationships if we would apply it consistently. We cannot achieve this by our own strength. Our heart and mind must be filled with the Holy Spirit and with God's Word. "Remember what comes out is related to what goes in -- G.I.G.O.: garbage in, garbage out OR God's word IN, God's word OUT." (Charles Spurgeon)

Prayer: Abba Father, thank You for the gift of words for communication! Please fill my heart with Your Holy Spirit and help me keep filling my mind with Your Word everyday. Please empower me to think before I speak, to discern what others' needs are, and please give me the right words to meet those needs. May my words bless others and honor You always! In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.
"Lord, set a watch upon my lips,
My tongue control today;
Help me evaluate each thought

And guard each word I say.
"
(Hess)


"Use words of kindness, filled with love,
That heal and nourish life
Instead of hurling angry words

That wound and stir up strife
." (Sper)


"A careless word may kindle strife.
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill;
A brutal word may smite and kill.
A gracious word may smooth the way;
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress;

A loving word may heal and bless.
"
(Unknown)

A young lady once said to John Wesley, “I think I know what my talent is. It’s to speak my mind.” Wesley quipped, “I don’t think God would mind if you bury that talent.” :)


No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian