Thursday, May 21, 2020

Fear Not: God Is Your Helper

The psalmist recounted his personal experience of God's goodness, faithfulness, and enduring love during the time when he was distressed. He was hard pressed and desperately needed help. He knew that God was his only Hope. He turned to the Lord to be the Source of his deliverance in those difficult times. By acknowledging (and reminding himself of) what God did for him in the past, he's ready to face anything with confidence and without fear. God is there with him to be his Helper. When you face troubles or difficulties, who or what do you turn to for help? Fear not; God is also with you and He is also your Helper. Cry out to the Lord. He listens, He cares, He answers, He liberates, and He helps. He is attentive to our needs. God can and will set us free from whatever constrains us or holds us down (ex: worries, fears, discouragement, weariness, etc.) God's presence with us makes all the difference in the world. Our Helper is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent. Thus there's nothing and no one we need to be afraid of whatsoever. All we need to do is to rely upon Him, Who is our Refuge from the storm and the enemies. The Lord God Almighty is our Defender; we shall triumph.

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.
    In God, whose Word I praise--
in God I trust and am not afraid.    
What can mere mortals do to me?" (Psalm 56:3-4)

Prayers which come out of distress generally come out of the heart, and therefore they go to the heart of God. It is sweet to recollect our prayers, and often profitable to tell others of them after they are heard. Prayer may be bitter in the offering, but it will be sweet in the answering. The man of God had called upon the Lord when he was not in distress, and therefore he found it natural and easy to call upon him when he was in distress. He worshipped, he praised, he prayed: for all this is included in calling upon God, even when he was in a straitened condition.” (Charles Spurgeon) 

Prayer
: Lord Jesus, thank You for being my Helper and Defender! My life is in Your hand. There's nowhere else I'd rather be. Thank You for listening to and answering my prayers! Your unfailing love, grace, power, and faithfulness have sustained me throughout my life and I know that they will continue for the rest of my life. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of  my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 23:6)

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian