Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Gospel Power

We, Christ's followers, are eternally loved and chosen by God. By His sovereign grace, God has chosen all believers for salvation, drawing them to Himself by the work of the Holy Spirit. "For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will." (Ephesians 1:4-5)

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16) The gospel (good news) has power (from the Holy Spirit) to transform lives, to convict people of their sin, and to assure them of the gospel truth. It's our job to share the gospel with others while it's the Holy Spirit's job to open their spiritual eyes (heart and mind) to see/realize their need for a Savior and their need to repent. Without the Holy Spirit, our words (no matter how eloquent) are powerless and won't be able to convert anyone.

The Thessalonians could trust Paul's preaching because they knew that he lived in accordance with what he taught. To ponder: Are your character and conduct congruent with your creed and confession (what you say you believe)? Your credibility depends on it. Whether we like it or not...realize it or not, people read us and notice how we act and how we react. Do you live what you believe? Do you walk the talk? If not, hypocrisy will quickly turn people off. "Our manner of life either helps or hinders the Gospel. It either recommends the truth to others or else makes the truth repulsive." (Ron Mattoon) Our lives should reflect Christ and testify of the gospel's transforming power. 

"I am my neighbor's Bible. He reads me when we meet. He may not even know my name, yet he is reading me." (Unknown)

"Of one hundred men, one will read the Bible; the ninety-nine will read the Christian." (Dwight L. Moody )

"So let our lips and lives express
The holy gospel we profess;
So let our works and virtues shine,
To prove the doctrine all divine." (Watts)

Prayer: Thank You, Abba Father, for loving me, choosing me, and adopting me into Your family! I'm so grateful for the gospel of salvation by grace alone through faith in Christ alone. Please empower me to boldly share the gospel with those who need to hear. Please help me conduct myself in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.


No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian