Friday, February 8, 2019

Saved to Do Good Works

We (the redeemed/children of God) are God's handiwork/masterpiece (poiema in Greek depicting God using His ultimate creative power & abilities), created in Christ Jesus! Let that sink in deeply...we are His grandest, most beautiful work of art! The spiritually dead are made alive. We are born again/made new in Christ. "Created in Christ Jesus" refers to our spiritual union with Christ.

It's all evidence of grace: salvation, faith, and being designed and equipped to do good works. We are saved by grace alone, not by works, but we're saved for works (to do good works). Good works do not and cannot save us, but good works demonstrate that we are saved (good works should be manifested in our lives because we are saved). Good works are proof/fruit of our salvation and our faith. We're saved to serve and glorify God, not selves. God wants His saved/redeemed children to walk in obedience to His Word and His will, reflecting His love & His light to others and glorifying Him in whatever they do. Good works are simply an overflowing of our faith in God and our love & gratitude to God. What we believe should affect the way we live. Good works are the tangible evidence of saving faith and transformed life.

God has already prepared in advance good works for us to do. Good works are part of God's divine plan. Abide in Christ and bear much fruit. Our good works are testimonies of God's grace and goodness to the lost. "Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify (praise) your Father in Heaven." (Matthew 5:16) By the way, what is one main thing that we can do on earth but not in Heaven? Sharing with lost sinners the good news of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. There will be no sinners in Heaven so this task can only be done on earth. Therefore, let us take the Great Commission seriously.

"Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you." (Unknown)

"God has a plan and purpose for my time on earth. He is the master artist or sculptor, and He is the One Who chooses the tools He will use to perfect His workmanship. What of suffering, then? What of illness? What of disability? Am I to tell Him which tools He can use and which tools He can’t use in the lifelong task of perfecting me and molding me into the beautiful image of Jesus? Do I really know better than Him, so that I can state without equivocation that it’s always His will to heal me of every physical affliction? If I am His poem, do I have the right to say, 'No, Lord. You need to trim line number two and brighten up lines three and five. They’re just a little bit dark.' Do I, the poem, the thing being written, know more than the poet?" (Joni Eareckson Tada)

"Great Master, teach us with Your skillful hand;
Let not the music that is in us die!

Great Sculptor, hew and polish us; 
nor let hidden and lost, 
Your form within us lie!"
(Horatius Bonar)

Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can
.”
(John Wesley)



To Ponder:
Are my daily choices reflecting the truth that I am God's workmanship, that I belong to Him, that I am no longer my own?


Prayer: Abba Father, thank You for saving me and for making me a new creation in Christ Jesus! Please fill me with Your Holy Spirit and empower me to do good works that You have prepared in advance for me to do each and every day. May my life be a beautiful praise song that glorifies You and draws others to You! Please enable me to use my time, talents, and treasures wisely for Your glory and Your kingdom. Please embolden me to share the gospel with those who need to hear. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian