Friday, February 15, 2019

The Great Commission

The Great Commission is a command (not a suggestion or an option) for every Christ's follower. Jesus commands us to go and make disciples of all nations, baptize them in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit (a confirmation of the doctrine of the Trinity), and teach them to obey His commands. We are not only to share the Gospel with others but also to help them grow in their walk with Christ. We must tell them about the cost of discipleship (Luke 14:26-33). We are to be Christ's ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20) doing the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18). Jesus came from Heaven to earth to seek and save the lost. This should be our hearts' desire, too. We must go. Go and tell the lost about the good news of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ! We must be willing to go wherever and whenever God wants us to go and do whatever He wants us to do. Be available and be ready to share what Christ has done for us. We should echo Isaiah's attitude and response: "Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8b) Lord, send me anywhere, only go with me. Lay any burden upon me, only sustain me. Sever any ties but the ties that bind me to You and Your service.” (David Livingstone) Remember that this task (evangelism) can only be done on earth since there will be no sinners/unbelievers in Heaven. Therefore, let us take the Great Commission seriously. It's a matter of urgency! People are dying and going to Hell everyday, without ever hearing the Gospel of Jesus even once.

By the way, we must not forget to make disciples of our own children and equip them to share the Gospel and multiply disciples! Teach them to obey God and His Word.

Baptism is the outward demonstration of one's union with and commitment to Christ. It signifies our repentance, our death to sin, and our newness of life in Christ. "We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) Baptism doesn't save us. In fact, some who have been baptized have never truly been saved.

Jesus gives us an important task to do but He doesn't just leave us to figure it all out by ourselves. Christ's promise of His presence is precious. He knows that when we obey what He commands us to do, we will face hardships, obstacles, distractions, attacks, and dangers from the Enemy. He promises to be with us always in all places at all times. His constant Spiritual presence encourages, comforts, strengthens, guides, empowers, emboldens, and preserves us. 

Prayer: Abba Father, thank You for saving me and adopting me into Your family! Please help me to boldly share the gospel with those who need to hear. Please give me Your words, guide me by Your Spirit, and grant me the wisdom needed to draw them to You. Please show me where You want me to go to reach the lost. Please give me opportunities to make more disciples for Your kingdom. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian