Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Set Your Mind on Things Above


We, Christ's followers, are to set our hearts and minds on things above, not on earthly things (whether good or bad). We are to direct our affection and thoughts to things above (heavenly things/eternal things). "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2) We must embrace a different mindset (have the mind of Christ) and an eternal perspective. This world is not our home. Don't waste your life chasing after temporary things! Don't waste your life fretting about temporary things, either! Live for God and give Him your undivided loyalty! Don't let the world and its pursuits or its troubles come between your soul and Him. Focus on reaching out to the lost and making an eternal impact while you're here on earth. Live intentionally in such a way that most glorifies God. Think God's thoughts. Love what God loves and hate what God hates. Look at everything (including current crisis) through God's eyes/perspectives.

"The Greek verb for 'set' emphasizes an ongoing decision. Christians must continually discipline themselves to focus on eternal realities, instead of the temporal realities of this earth." (commentary from my NKJV Study Bible)
 Farewell, vain world; my soul bids you adieu.
My Savior taught me to abandon you.
Your charms may gratify a sensual mind,
but cannot please a soul for God designed."
(David Brainerd)


Prayer: Abba Father, I thank You that my life is now hidden with Christ in You and that when Christ, Who is my life, appears, then I also will appear with Him in glory! Please help me to continually focus my heart and mind on eternal things, not on earthly things. May I always live faithfully in the light of eternity for Your glory and Your kingdom. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian