Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Thirst No More!

- Water from the well or from anywhere else has to be consumed again and again yet we will still be thirsty again and again. But the water Jesus gives will so completely satisfy us that we shall never thirst. Such is the refreshment of eternal life!
- We can draw a parallel to the repeated sacrifices required in the old covenant compared with the one-for-all sacrifice of the Lamb of God that fully satisfies God's wrath... that paid the penalty for our sins in full.
- God is called the Spring of Living Water (Jeremiah 2:13, 17:13). By saying that He would bring living water that could forever quench a person's spiritual thirst, Jesus was claiming to be the Messiah. Only the Messiah could satisfy the soul's desire.
- "What is the greatest crime in the desert? Finding water and keeping silent." (~Eastern proverb) We, Christians, have found the living water, but...have we been keeping silent? We live in a spiritually dry and thirsty land; yet we are often oblivious to this need. Have we committed the greatest crime in the spiritual desert? Are we truly loving others as ourselves? Are we doing all we can to reach the lost...to help quench their thirst by leading them to the Living Water...to show them that only Jesus offers lasting spiritual satisfaction?
- Are we looking for people and/or things to fulfill and satisfy us? They will not last and sooner or later, they will fail us or disappoint us, leaving us feeling empty/thirsty. Besides, they could become our idols if we place them above God or pursue them relentlessly, instead of God. People, places, and things are never meant to give us life's fulfillment. Christ alone is the Author of a fulfilling life! Only He can make us whole, complete, and fully satisfied.

"Thirst" by Phil Wickham

Wash over me like a tidal wave
Clean out what pulls me to the grave
Nothing left that You don't love

Take me where Your river flows
Heal the desert in my soul
Let it wash over my feet
All I'm asking for is just a drink

I thirst for You
Yes, my soul it thirsts for You
Even as the deer is panting for the stream
Even though my soul is thirsty
I thirst for You

Spirit of the living God
Would you fall afresh like rain on us
Burst the doors and flood the halls
Into forgotten rooms inside our hearts

And we will all be swept away
In the current of Your love and grace
Living water flow to me
All I'm asking for is just a drink

I thirst for You
Yes, my soul it thirsts for You
Even as the deer is panting for the stream
Even though my soul is thirsty
I thirst for You

One thing I ask and I would seek
To see You there in front of me
With nothing standing in the way
Just me before You unashamed

I thirst for You
I thirst for You
You're the well that won't run dry
Only You can satisfy

I thirst for You
I thirst for You
Living water flow to me
All I ask is just one drink
I thirst for You

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian