Sunday, October 25, 2009

Magic Is Tragic

In our family, we use the word “illusion”, not "magic" when we talk about the tricks performed by illusionists. There’s another kind of magic that is dangerous, harmful, and tragic...the kind that God hates. It is witchcraft/sorcery.

Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or cast spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord.” Deuteronomy 18:10-12a

Do not practice divination or sorcery.” Leviticus 19:26b

They sacrificed their sons and daughters in the fire. They practiced divination and sorcery and sold themselves to do evil in the eyes of the Lord, provoking Him to anger.” 2 Kings 17:17

Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds.” Ezekiel 13:20

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19-21

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars–their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” Revelation 21:8

Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” Revelation 22:14-15

This is not something to be taken lightly. The Lord hates it; we should also hate it and avoid it at all cost. Some Christians think it is not wrong to read books and/or watch movies that contain magic/witchcraft/sorcery. Some also think it is not wrong to celebrate Halloween (which tends to glorify death, fear, witches, ghosts, and spiritual darkness) and dress their kids up as witches or wizards.  They probably can come up with lots of reasons to justify why they disagree with me :).  Even if they assure me that those books, movies, or Halloween celebration do not affect or influence them/their kids negatively at all, I still would question whether they spent their time wisely and for God's glory.  Wouldn't they be better off to spend their time on better (edifying, inspirational, God-honoring) books, movies, and celebrations?  In my opinion, if the Lord is so strongly against magic arts/witchcraft/sorcery, why would we think we can play around with it? Why would we act like we know better than God? He loves us and wants to protect us from harm. You may think a little magic here and there is harmless, but anything that is against God is sin. Of course, satan wants us to think magic is harmless; he is a master of lies and deception. He likes to fill our minds and hearts with things that draw us away from God. You can read a great article regarding Halloween at http://www.equip.org/hank_speaks_outs/halloween .

In addition, I do not think Christian authors need to or should weave any magic/witchcraft/sorcery into their stories...even if they intend to use their stories to point people to God and the Gospel. God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and the Gospel is powerful and effective in itself. God does not need the help of magic (the thing He hates) to get people interested in Him. It is really an insult to God.

Please visit here for the links to other Spiritual Sundays posts. Have a blessed day in the Lord, everyone!

13 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, I totally agree.

RCUBEs said...

You got it right! Christian life and "magic" just don't mix. That is...if you are truly a "follower of Jesus"....Blessings.

Just Be Real said...

I'm with you here. Thanks! Blessings.

Musings of A Minister said...

AMEN! Thanks for posting.

Susan said...

Our church has a Fall Fling. A time of getting together for food, fun & games in a family atmosphere.
Susan

Sue said...

I agree with all of the previous commenters. Thank you for posting this. Blessings,
Sue

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is a great post!
Thank-you,
Ginger

Charlotte said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know why Christians would want to glorify witches, witchcraft and other evil things. I think many times they just go along with the culture and traditions of Halloween without considering the consequences. The older I get the more I realize it is not a good thing, and I don't even like jack-o-lanterns anymore.
I appreciate you bringing these things to our attention.
Blessings,
Charlotte

GranthamLynn said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing this and being bold enough to share. I agree. I have watched other believers get absorbed in series books and movies and actually encourage thier children. I just didn't get it.
Thanks for sharing this.
Have a Blessed Week,
Sherry

E-S said...

My husband loves to do "Magic tricks" but I guess we will call it. Illusion tricks. We have a special time with the kids every night we call "Magic Hour" as in Magical, wonder excitement... you know Disneyland kind of wonder. We don't celebrate Halloween or do parties of any sort on that day. They know the difference between sorcery and tricks. Sorcery is an abomination and my family steers clear from it. I appreciated your article thanks. After doing a quick search for an synonym for magic I came up with this http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/magic YIKES... I don't like that. My kids all said what Magic Hour mommy? I said not sorcery, wonder amazement you know.. anyway I should followed their advice. I was just trying to make it sound really exciting.... I'll find a NEW NAME TODAY! THANKS AGAIN www.strongquiver.blogspot.com

E-S said...

Found it ok we will change it to Jubilee Time! :)

Unknown said...

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I agree with you, I have always disliked Halloween, like your songs.
kim

A Must-See Video for Every Christian