Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Obedient Will Be Blessed


"But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom,  and continues in it--not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it--they will be blessed in what they do." (James 1:25)

Be doers of the Word, not just hearers. When we only listen to God's teaching but do not obey, we're fooling ourselves. This reminds me of Matthew 7:24-27 (the wise and foolish builders). Obedience/fruit is the proof of transformed lives...the tangible evidence of our faith. "The best evidence of our having the truth is our walking in the truth." (Matthew Henry) Hearing without doing is useless. Doing without hearing is dangerous. Both are vital just like breathing in (spending time with God in prayer and in His Word) and breathing out (doing what God's Word says/putting what we know into practice). Just knowing God's Word is not enough. Even Satan knows God's Word. It's not how much Scripture we know; it's how much Scripture we live. We must humbly accept His Word to transform our hearts, renew our minds, and guide our actions. We're to be kingdom-builders and world-changers.

"The perfect law that gives freedom": the law was made perfect by Jesus Christ and through Him, we've been set free from sin, self, and spiritual death. Jesus said in John 8:31-32, "If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Now we live freely by Christ's law of love (loving God and loving people). This perfect law of love and liberty guides us internally through the Holy Spirit. 
God's Word brings sanctification. Blessed are they who continue to be in God's Word, remember what they learn, and do what it says/obey the Word. "Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord. Blessed are they who keep His statutes and seek Him with all their heart." (Psalm 119:1-2)

Prayer: Father, thank You for Your Word which is a lamp to my feet and light to my path! Please empower me to apply Your Word in my daily life, to keep a tight rein on my tongue, to care for those in need & defend the defenseless, and to keep myself from being polluted by the world. Please help me to use my time, talents, and treasure wisely for Your glory and for Your kingdom. In Jesus's Name, I pray. Amen.



No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian