Thursday, February 27, 2020

Fear Not: God Is With You

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)


This verse includes two commands for us to obey: Do not fear and Do not be dismayed. It also includes two reasons why we are to obey: For I AM with you and For I AM your God. Finally, it includes three promises that God will keep: I will strengthen you, I will help you, and I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

God's presence makes all the difference in the world! Fear not because God is with us all the time! “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me…” (Psalm 23:4) The problem for most of us is that we are not aware of His presence. "We cannot attain the presence of God. We're already totally in the presence of God. What's absent is awareness." (Richard Rohr) We must remember that even when we don't feel God's presence, He is always present. You and I have never been alone even when we are alone or feel lonely. "A Father to the fatherless, a Defender of widows, is God in His holy dwelling." (Psalm 68:5) God is there for all the orphans, widows, and the lonely in the world. Sadly, we often tend to focus on problems in front of us and our needs/wants, instead of God's presence and power within us. God is here; there's no need to fear.


The key to not being dismayed (broken down and filled with fear, disheartened thoroughly) is to make sure that God is your God. Do you have a personal relationship with Him by trusting in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? If you are not in Christ, you have not been made righteous and you have every reason to be fearful. But when we are in Christ and fear God, we have no reason to fear anyone or anything. We are Christ's in all circumstances and for eternity. We belong to Him, Who is sovereign over all. He makes it His business to take care of us/our needs. He loves us and cares about us. He is personally engaged in our present and eternal welfare. Christ is here to stay; do not be dismayed!

In times of fear I don’t wrestle, I nestle.” (Corrie ten Boom) Lean on God to give you strength when you have nothing left to give/when fear cripples you and anxiety drains you. “The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace.” (Psalm 29:11) When we are weak, in Christ we are made strong. "He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:9-10) His divine power and strength will cover our weaknesses. "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." (Isaiah 40:29) "It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure." (Psalm 18:32) "The Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one." (2 Thessalonians 3:3) We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). Fear not!

Trust God to help you when you feel helpless. God is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent! Nothing is too hard for God. No matter what trial and storm you're going through, God is bigger than your storm and He is right there with you to bring you through it. "For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my Helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'" (Hebrews 13:5b-6) "God is our Refuge and Strength, an ever-present Help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1) Trust in His infinite wisdom, mighty power, and unending love. He knows what we need and He will provide, guide, and equip us. He delights in helping us. "The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still." (Exodus 14:14) "I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:1-2) Fear not!


We are upheld (securely supported) by God's righteous right hand. “The Lord is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.” (Psalm 145:13-14) "The Lord makes firms the steps of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand." (Psalm 37:23-24) Our lives are in His capable, all-powerful hand! Fear not! 


John Piper restates these promises using five different prepositions:
  • I am your God--over you. 
  • I am with you--by your side. 
  • I will strengthen you--from inside of you. 
  • I will help you--all around you. 
  • I will uphold you--from underneath you. 
God is over you, by you, inside you, around you, and underneath you.

Now repeat after me: "I am never alone. I have never been unloved. I am never without help."

Prayer: Thank You, Abba Father, for Your presence which gives me peace, courage, confidence, and comfort! Please help me be constantly aware of Your presence and rest in Your presence, promises, power, provision, and protection. Thank You for strengthening me, helping me, and upholding me through all the ups and downs of my life! Please empower me to live a faith-filled, fearless life. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.


No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian