Thursday, November 30, 2017

Pay Attention

Peter wanted us to pay attention to the Scriptures which are true and trustworthy. Since over 300 Old Testament prophecies have all been fulfilled by Christ, we can have complete confidence in the reliability of the Bible and trust what the Bible says about the future. "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." (Psalm 119:105) God's Word shines as light in a dark place (this corrupt world system filled with the darkness of sin, ignorance, despair, and death). "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17) Paul affirms what Peter says about the writing of Scripture being moved/directed by God the Holy Spirit. Old Testament prophecies look ahead to the coming of Christ, the bright Morning Star, Who shines His light into our hearts. Jesus has given us newness of life; He has infused our lives with His light, His presence, and His purpose. The perfect, though limited, revelation of the Scriptures will be replaced with the perfect revelation of Jesus Christ at His second coming. "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

"The truth that Christ is coming again must first arise in their hearts, like the morning star, giving assurance of coming day. Assured of His anticipated return, they will be alert to detect the gleams of dawn breaking through the darkness. Those who disregard the light of prophecy will not understand the significance of these harbingers of coming day. Such a living hope must have a transforming impact upon daily life." (Hiebert)

"I'll trust in God's unchanging Word 

Till soul and body sever; 
For though all things shall pass away, 

His Word shall stand forever!"
(Luther) 


Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for Your Word that gives me light, hope, joy, peace, strength, comfort, and encouragement! Thank You for shining Your light into my heart, enabling me to know You and Your Word. Please help me live ready always for Your return. Use me, Lord, for Your glory and Your kingdom.

1 comment:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

AMEN! I am looking for His return too.

A Must-See Video for Every Christian