Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Wherever You Go
- Here we see God not only gives Joshua a command but also gives him a beautiful promise. God's Command: Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged. God's Promise: God will be with you wherever you go. The promise of God's constant presence is such a sweet assurance. God's presence makes all the difference in the world! It gives us comfort and confidence.
- "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." (Ephesians 6:10) Be strong mentally and spiritually. Put on the full armor of God (see Ephesians 6:11-17). Be courageous. To be brave-hearted, not faint-hearted. The key to courage is knowing who God is...who the Source of true courage is! Remember...when things are out of control, God is always in control. When we're in tight places and it seems there's no way out, God will make a way for us. When we're flummoxed and flabbergasted, God is forever faithful. What we deem impossible, it's a piece of cake for God.
- Do not be afraid. In life, we face many problems, challenges, and difficulties but we need not fear any. God is greater than any giants. God has never forsaken/abandoned those who seek Him and He never will. God is always present with us even when we don't feel His presence. We are never alone. "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6) Whenever God's Word says, "Do not be afraid", it often includes the promise of God's presence ("...For I am with you"). Such a caring & comforting promise! Do not be afraid; God's got this! To overcome fear, we must fully trust God and rest in His unfailing love for us.
- Do not be dismayed/discouraged. Are you discouraged by the world's events or by circumstances in your own life? Take heart and be of courage! "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31b) Rely on God's grace, power, and strength. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. When God is pleased to work through us, nothing will be able to stop us. Don't give up; God is there to help you and guide you. He who sends you will strengthen you. He who calls you will equip you.
- Prayer: Father, please give me courage and boldness and take away any fear or discouragement so that I may obey You, serve You, and live for You with no compromise. Please fill me with the Holy Spirit and empower me to do all that You have called me to do. Please show me how to lead the precious children You have given me. I need Your wisdom, strength, and grace. Help me to love, lead, and serve like Jesus! In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.