Friday, February 27, 2015

The Great Commission with the Great Promise

- The Great Commission is a command (not a suggestion or an option) for every Christ's follower. Jesus commands us to go and make disciples of all nations, baptize them in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit (a confirmation of the doctrine of the Trinity), and teach them to obey His commands. We are not only to share the Gospel with others but also to help them grow in their walk with Christ. We must tell them about the cost of discipleship (Luke 14:26-33). We are to be Christ's ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20) doing the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18). Jesus came from Heaven to earth to seek and save the lost. This should be our hearts' desire, too. We must go. We must be willing to go wherever and whenever God wants us to go and do whatever He wants us to do. We should echo Isaiah's attitude and response: "Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8b) "Go, send, or disobey!" (John Piper) Lord, send me anywhere, only go with me. Lay any burden upon me, only sustain me. Sever any ties but the ties that bind me to You and Your service.” (David Livingstone)

By the way, we must not forget to make disciples of our own children and equip them to share the Gospel and multiply disciples!
- Baptism is the outward demonstration of one's union with and commitment to Christ. It signifies our repentance, our death to sin, and our newness of life in Christ. "We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) Baptism doesn't save us. In fact, some who have been baptized have never truly been saved.
- Christ's promise of His presence is precious. He promises to be with us always through it all. His presence makes all the difference in the world! His constant Spiritual presence encourages, comforts, strengthens, guides, empowers, and preserves us.
- Prayer: Father, thank You for saving me and adopting me into Your family! Please help me to boldly share the gospel with those who need to hear. Please give me Your words, guide me by Your Spirit, and grant me the wisdom needed to draw them to You. Please give me opportunities to make more disciples for Your kingdom. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.
"Save some, O Christian! By all means, save some. From yonder flames and outer darkness, and the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, seek to save some! Let this, as in the case of the apostles, be your great, ruling object in life, that by all means you might save some." ~Charles Spurgeon (Note from me: Only God can save! Both Charles Spurgeon and John Wesley understood that and they just meant that Christians need to reach out to the lost with the Gospel in the hope that they might come to the Lord and be saved.)
   

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian