Monday, September 22, 2014

A Broken and Contrite Heart

God is pleased when we come before Him with a broken/humbled spirit, a contrite/repentant heart. A heart that mourns over sin...that is filled with deep sorrow/anguish for sinning... that desperately begs God for mercy.

God will not despise. Instead, "He will respond to the prayer of the destitute; He will not despise their plea." (Psalm 102:17) "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3) "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18) "For this is what the high and exalted One says--He who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.'" (Isaiah 57:15) "These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at My Word." (Isaiah 66:2b)

When we sin (either sin of commission or sin of omission) whether in thoughts, words, or deeds, we should feel remorse, overwhelmed with sorrow and desire to change. My heart is broken, crushed, wounded, grieved, and burdened whenever I think I've hurt or disappointed my Heavenly Father until I weep in repentance and rest in His forgiveness and grace. Because of Christ's redemption through His blood, we have received the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of God's grace. For that I am forever grateful!

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret." (2 Corinthians 7:10) True repentance means turning away from sin/wrong path or direction 180 degrees towards God.

Prayer: Father, please break my heart before You to be tender & humble, to be quick & sensitive to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and to be readily penitent. I am nothing without You. I cannot live without Your grace. I never want to hurt You or disappoint You. I hate sin with every fiber of my being. I really do. I only want to obey, honor, and please You. Please forgive me for all I should have thought but did not think, for all I should have said but did not say, and for all I should have done but did not do. Please also forgive me for all I should not have thought but did think, for all I should not have said but did say, and for all I should not have done but did do. Your mercy is so great. Thank You for Your forgiveness! In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

A Must-See Video for Every Christian