Monday, March 22, 2010

The Week in Words #1

http://breathoflifeministries.blogspot.com/2010/01/announcing-week-in-words.html
"Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord." (Ephesians 5:8b-10)  We named our homeschool, "Children of Light Christian Academy."  We want our children to live their lives as children of light, bearing the fruit of the light and aiming to please God in all areas, including their learning.

"Day by day, dear Lord, of Thee three things I pray: to see Thee more clearly, to love Thee more dearly, to follow Thee more nearly day by day. Amen." ~ St. Richard of Chichester, 1197-1253
Isn't that a wonderful prayer?  That's my desire for each day, too.

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess except in relation to the kingdom of Christ." "All that I am I owe to Jesus Christ, revealed to me in His divine Book." "Without Christ, not one step; with Him, anywhere!" ~ David Livingstone (Scottish physician, missionary, & explorer)
I love these 3 quotes from David Livingstone.  The first one is a challenge for us to examine how we view our possessions.  They should hold no value or significance to us if they do not help contribute to the kingdom of Christ.  "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him." (Philippians 3:8-9a)

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." ~Johann Sebastian Bach (He signed "SDG" at the bottom of his works (musical manuscripts); SDG = Soli Deo Gloria = Glory to God alone.)
I wish all musicians would share the same attitude/view as Bach.  I believe the aim of all that we do and say should be for the glory of God...to please and honor Him.  "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)

"Be thou content to leave thy prayer in His hands, Who knows when to give, and how to give, and what to give, and what to withhold." ~Charles H. Spurgeon (from Morning and Evening, page164)
This quote reminds me to be content to leave my prayer in God's hands.  I need to let go of my burdens/concerns and rest in knowing that God is in control and that He wants what's best for me.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

These were all really interesting. Loved the prayer by St. Richard. And I didn't know that about Bach.

A Must-See Video for Every Christian