Thursday, February 13, 2014
- They should be reverent in the way they live. "Reverent"--showing great reverence for God, leading a godly life, being very respectful. It's interesting that synonyms for "reverent" include respectful, humble, meek, and submissive. They're the same adjectives describing how wives should be :).
- They should not be slanderers (false accusers). "To slander" means to utter false and malicious statements that damage the reputation or well-being of another.
- They should not be addicted to much wine (or to anything for that matter). Addiction is bad. It shows lack of judgment and self-control.
- They should teach what is good. The older should teach the younger by words and by example. This is how values are passed on from generation to generation. Some of us are now of an age where people (at least our own children if no one else :)) start looking up to us, let's make sure that our example is motivating younger believers to live in a way that honors God.
- To stay above reproach, we need God's wisdom and discernment to be discreet and to master our tongues and passions so that Christ would not be dishonored. Self-control is necessary.