Sunday, December 15, 2013
Advent Day 15: Come Worship Him
- God guided and directed these wise men by a special star. It went before them and stopped over the place where Jesus was.
- The chief priests and teachers of the law knew about the prophecy in Micah 5:2. Most religious leaders believed in Old Testament prophecies so they knew that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. Ironically and sadly, when the Messiah for Whom they had been waiting finally came, they did not recognize Him.
- Herod called the Magi secretly and pretended to be interested in knowing where to find Jesus and wanting to go worship Him. He lied. His motive was to locate and kill the newborn King.
- The visit of the Magi (wise men) must have taken place when Jesus was between 1 to 2 years old. By this time, Mary and Joseph were married and lived in a house.
- The three gifts symbolized Christ's identity. Gold was a gift for a King. Frankincense was a gift for deity (the Son of God). Myrrh was a spice for a person who was going to die.
- A special divine revelation directed these wise men to avoid Herod on their return to their country. They obeyed.
- These men from a faraway land recognized Jesus as the Messiah while most of God's chosen people in Israel did not. The Magi traveled thousand of miles to see Jesus. When they finally found Him, they were overjoyed, bowed down, worshiped Him, and gave Him gifts. May we come and worship Christ for Who He is, not for what we can get from Him! May we offer Him our all!