"'But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me One Who will be Ruler over Israel, Whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.' Therefore Israel will be abandoned until the time when she who is in labor bears a Son, and the rest of His brothers return to join the Israelites. He will stand and shepherd His flock in the strength of the Lord, in the majesty of the Name of the Lord His God. And they will live securely, for then His greatness will reach to the ends of the earth. And He will be our Peace." Micah 5:2-5a- Ephrathah was the district in which Bethlehem was located.
- Micah had foretold long ago that Bethlehem would be Messiah's birthplace. This prophecy was fulfilled by Christ (Luke 2:1-7, Matthew 2:1-12).
- God's Greatest Gift to us came to a small, humble town, Bethlehem. Bethlehem means "house of bread." The Bread of Life (John 6:35) came into this world in the "house of bread"!
- "No priest, no theologian stood at the cradle of Bethlehem. And yet, all Christian theology finds its beginnings in the miracle of miracles, that God became human."~Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- "From of old, from ancient times"--The promised eternal King/Ruler in David's line, Who would enter human history as a man, had been alive forever.
- "He will be our Peace"--Because of Christ's first coming, we have the opportunity to experience peace with God with no more fear of judgment and no more guilt/condemnation. Christ's peace is out of this world (John 14:27) At His second coming, all wars and weapons will be destroyed (Micah 4:3-5). "For He (Jesus) Himself is our Peace." (Ephesians 2:14a)
- "Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you." (2 Thessalonians 3:16) Praise Yahweh Shalom (The Lord Our Peace)!