Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Advent Day 4: Righteous Branch
- This is a prophecy about Jesus (Righteous Branch), in Whom the promise of David's eternal throne (2 Samuel 7:16) would be fulfilled. It echoes Jeremiah 23:5-6.
- "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit." Isaiah 11:1
- God always keeps His promises. He is forever faithful. "The Lord is righteous in all His ways and faithful in all He does." (Psalm 145:17)
- Jesus is the King of kings who always does what is just and right. We can trust Him at all times.
- "In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. This is the name by which He will be called: The Lord Our Righteousness." (Jeremiah 33:16)--The commentary from Life Application Study Bible says about verses 15 and 16, "These verses refer to both the first and second comings of Christ. At His first coming He would set up His reign in the hearts of believers; at His second coming He would execute justice and righteousness throughout the whole earth."